If you’re looking for a natural way to repelling mosquitoes, consider oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE). This substance is extracted from the leaves of lemon eucalyptus trees and enriched with para-menthane-3,8-diol (PMD), an active ingredient that repels mosquitoes and ticks. Often confused with lemon eucalyptus essential oil, OLE is the only plant-based ingredient recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Keep reading to learn about the benefits of oil of lemon eucalyptus, how to use OLE, and the top Murphy’s Naturals products that contain OLE and repel mosquitoes.
Benefits of oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE)
In addition to repelling mosquitoes, ticks, and other insects, OLE offers the following benefits:
- Doesn’t leave behind a sticky residue—Unlike some repellents, oil of lemon eucalyptus sprays on dry and doesn’t leave your skin feeling greasy.
- Has a pleasant scent—Compared to synthetic mosquito repellents, oil of lemon eucalyptus doesn’t have an overpowering scent and smells quite refreshing.
- Protects against certain diseases transmitted by insects—According to a 2018 study published by the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine (NIH/NLM), para-menthane-3,8-diol—the leading ingredient in oil of lemon eucalyptus that repels insects—reduced the feeding habits of mosquitoes that transmit dengue fever. OLE is also known to repel mosquitoes and ticks that transmit Zika virus, West Nile virus, Lyme disease, and Rocky Mountain spotted fever.
- Lasts for six hours—Oil of lemon eucalyptus is effective as DEET and other chemical alternatives and repels mosquitoes for up to six hours.
- Approved by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)—Unlike lemon eucalyptus essential oil, which hasn’t undergone testing for safety and efficacy, OLE is approved to use by the EPA and doesn’t cause harm to humans or the environment.
How to use oil of lemon eucalyptus
In general, most OLE repellents will come in a spray form. However, some repellents may also come in the form of lotions, balms, or creams. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the product label before using and reapply as directed.
Here are a few additional tips when using oil of lemon eucalyptus:
- Avoid using the repellent around your eyes and mouth. When applying OLE to your face, spray it in your hand first before applying it to your face.
- Don’t use the repellent on broken, irritated, or injured skin.
- If you’re applying sunscreen, apply sunscreen first before using oil of lemon eucalyptus on your skin.
Note: According to the FDA, children under the age of three shouldn’t use oil of lemon eucalyptus since it can irritate the eyes.
Why Murphy's Naturals?Murphy’s Naturals provides a variety of natural mosquito repellents that contain oil of lemon eucalyptus and strives to celebrate nature and inspire good through quality natural products. The business is family-operated and 14 out of 18 products are made in the U.S. Not to mention, each product touts the following characteristics:
- Natural products that actually work
- Made with plant-based ingredients
- Focused on celebrating nature
- Each purchase gives back
Top Murphy's Products
If you’re looking for natural mosquito repellents, here are some top sellers offered by Murphy’s Naturals:
- Lemon Eucalyptus Oil Insect Repellent Mist: This spray provides up to six hours of protection against mosquitoes and up to four hours of tick protection. It’s plant-based and packaged with 25% post-consumer recycled materials. Simply spray it on your skin or gear and enjoy the protection it provides.
- Mosquito Repellent Wipes: Each pack comes with 10 wipes and includes plant-based oils, such as lemongrass and rosemary. These wipes are easy-to-use, fast-absorbing, and travel-friendly.
- Mosquito Repellent Balm: This non-greasy balm goes on smooth and repels mosquitoes for six hours.
- Mosquito Repellent Balm Stick: This travel-friendly balm is easy to use and includes responsibly sourced, plant-based ingredients.
- Mosquito Repellent Candle: Free of petroleum, palm wax, dyes, synthetic fragrances, and parabens, this candle repels mosquitoes for up to 30 hours, allowing you to enjoy your outdoor space all day long.