While paraffin candles are affordable, they contain a variety of chemicals and toxic compounds that can be harmful to your health and the environment. Beeswax and soy candles are two natural candle alternatives that are safe to use and have multiple beneficial properties. Keep reading to compare the benefits of beeswax and soy candles.
Benefits of beeswax candles
Beeswax is a natural and renewable resource that is commonly used in candles. This non-toxic, waxy substance is secreted by bees after they consume honey. Here are a few benefits of beeswax candles:
- Don’t contain chemicals: Beeswax candles are 100% natural and don’t contain any chemicals or toxins.
- Are environmentally friendly: Unlike paraffin candles, beeswax candles are eco-friendly and biodegradable and they don’t undergo any chemical processing. They’re also non-oil-based, which means they produce very little smoke when their wicks are trimmed properly.
- Have a natural smell: Beeswax candles typically contain honey notes and floral nectar scents from a honeycomb to produce a natural aroma. Paraffin candles contain artificial dyes and synthetic fragrances, which can produce toxins when burned.
- Burn for long times: Beeswax is dense, has a high melting point, and burns longer than other candles.
- May improve air quality: Beeswax candles are the only candles that release negative ions when burned, which can purify and cleanse the air. These ions can remove dust, odors, and allergens from the air, benefiting those with allergies or asthma.
- Produce bright light: These candles produce a light that’s similar to natural sunlight.
One major downside to beeswax candles is that they’re more expensive than other types of candles because of how hard it is to produce beeswax.
Benefits of soy candles
Soy wax is a renewable resource and comes from hydrogenated soybean oil, which is derived from soy plants. It burns longer than paraffin candles and is more environmentally friendly. Here are some more benefits of soy wax candles:
- Are vegan: Unlike beeswax candles, soy candles are made without animal byproducts, making them vegan.
- Have a stronger scent than beeswax candles: Beeswax candles are naturally scented with honey and have a lighter scent than soy candles. Soy candles, on the other hand, are typically infused with essential oils which give them their scent.
- Are more affordable than beeswax candles: Soy candles are more affordable than beeswax candles.
- Produce a cool light: Beeswax candles produce a bright light, whereas soy wax candles produce a white flame similar to fluorescent light.
So what are the downsides to soy wax candles?
While soy wax is relatively sustainable, many soy candles contain genetically modified soy and soybean production involves heavy pesticide use, requires a lot of water, and promotes rainforest deforestation. Even 100% soybean oil blends can be mixed with vegetable oils or coconut wax. Additionally, most soy candles still contain a small amount of paraffin.
Factors to consider before buying a beeswax or soy candle
Both soy and beeswax candles can offer multiple benefits to consumers. However, there are a few factors to consider before buying one of these candles. Consider the following factors when determining what type of candle to purchase:
- Pricing: In general, beeswax candles are more expensive than most candles because beeswax is limited. The factors that generally go into the cost of a candle include the candle’s size, design, and ingredients.
- Ingredients: Because there are no regulations for disclosing candle ingredients, some beeswax candles may contain a small amount of paraffin. Look for 100% pure beeswax candles to ensure you’re getting an all-natural candle and that there aren’t any added colors or chemicals. If essential oils are included in a candle, they should be 100% pure.
- Scents: Beeswax candles have a natural honey scent, while soy candles are typically scented with essential oils. Keep in mind that scented candles that don’t contain essential oils likely have some artificial fragrance that gives them their scent.
- Burn time: A beeswax candle burns longer than other candles, including paraffin and soy candles.
Murphy’s Naturals candles
Murphy’s Naturals sells candles that contain both beeswax and soy wax. The Mosquito Repellent Candle repels mosquitoes for up to 30 hours and is completely free of parabens, palm wax, and petroleum. This candle comes in a recyclable container and contains a citrusy blend of rosemary, peppermint, and lemongrass oils.
Murphy’s Naturals also offers Mosquito Repellent Tea Light Candles, which repel mosquitoes for up to four hours, and a Mosquito Repellent Mini-Candle Trio Pack, which repels mosquitoes for up to 14 hours. All candles are made of 100% natural wax and are free of parabens, petroleum, dyes, and synthetic fragrances.